Sunday, December 20, 2020

My Christmas card for Grandma - 1946

“Put your finger on here,” Mum said. She was tying a bow on a beautifully wrapped parcel.  As it was a regular oblong shape, she had found it easy to wrap the paper round it.  Holly and ivy were printed all over the sheets of paper, but the paper itself was very thin and easily torn. 

“Who is it for?” I asked. 

“It’s for Grandma, up in Durham,” she said. “We need to wrap this in brown paper and get it off to the Post Office this afternoon.”  She finished tying the bow.  I recognised the ribbon as being the same as she used to tie in my plaits, but there was plenty left on the roll.

“What did you get Grandad?” I asked. 

“Grandad is no longer with us,” Mum said.  “Don’t you remember?  He died earlier this year.”

“Oh,” I said.  “Grandma will not be very happy this Christmas.” 

Mum said that my aunties would make sure that she would not be alone over Christmas and said that it would be a good idea if I would make her one of my special Christmas cards.

Pleased to have a job to do, I gathered my pencils and paints together and set to.  I remember drawing a very unhappy angel with copious tears dripping onto an empty dinner plate, at a table set ready for Christmas dinner with serviettes and a cracker. 

I do hope that Mum never sent it! 

J. M. Harker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...