Tuesday, August 24, 2021

My First Camera

My first camera was a Brownie 127, given to me by my aunt at Christmas 1953.  It was sort of elliptical in shape and made entirely of black plastic.  It lacked all the common functions of more sophisticated makes, but for me, it certainly opened the door to fundamental photography.

The 127 had one shutter speed and one aperture setting.  These as I remember were around f10/125 sec.  On an average English summer day it produced very reasonable black and white photographs using film, and of course, long before its digital equivalent.

Once all eight shots were ‘in the bag’ it was off to the local chemist to get the film processed by development.  If time was not pressing, the chemist would share his thoughts and comments on the results of my efforts, suggesting things like ‘framing’ and ‘panning’ of moving objects etc.

I have to admit that most of my photographic encounters were Railway based, but I still have some happy shots of my early family, secure in a small cardboard box up in the loft!

David Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...