Monday, September 13, 2021

Old Faces

I like old faces.

Gazing at the tell-tale wrinkles, the seams and the puckers, the hollows and undulations, arranged on a palette of flesh and blush.

A fascinating countenance.

How did you get that line?
Was that time spent perplexed, or are you a ponderer?

Those crows’ feet?
Did you squint into the sun? Or is that merriment written in the creases?

Those ruddy cheeks?
Did the wind kiss your face often, or did you reach for a snifter of an evening?

Can I still detect a twinkle in those rheumy eyes? What joys have they seen? What beauty, what horrors?

The shaky lip? I hope that’s not sadness or pain. It would be too much to bear. Now I have explored your visage, I know you a little bit.

Catch my eye so I can share a smile with you. 


Amanda H

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...