Monday, October 4, 2021

Shopping 2021-style

In my opinion, Loughborough has become a useless dump as far as shopping is concerned.

All I wanted was a small bedside lamp, to replace the one that I had recently broken.

Unable to find fuel for my car without sitting for an hour in a queue on Epinal Way, I decided to take a bus into town.

I tried to find a suitable lamp in Wilko’s, but they only had tall flimsy looking things and nothing suitable for my bedside location.

I went looking for the Argos store, only to discover that the building was now abandoned and empty.  An old friend happened to be passing by, and she was kind enough to advise me that I had to make my way up the Ashby Road, where a much smaller version of Argos could be found in Sainsbury’s.

On balance I decided against the walk.

I stood and looked at the town wondering where else I might try, and could I pick up a couple of other items that I needed?  Well, if I had needed a haircut or a coffee, no problem, but that is just about all, unless you include estate agents, bookmakers and funeral directors!

I decided to go home, and waited in a growing queue for the No 11 bus from Swan Street.  After about ten minutes it turned up, shedding first its few passengers and then its driver.

The driver announced to all those waiting “It’s now out of service, no driver replacement available, sorry.” He returned to his seat and drove away.  That now left the No 12 as my next option, and another ten-minute wait.

Eventually the 12 arrived and most of us embarked to the sound of another driver moaning that he was fed up with everything and today would probably be his final turn as a bus driver.

I am reviewing my need for a bedside light and am considering the use of a candle (circa 1750).  I think that this might well befit a town that is rapidly returning to that era of time.

 

David Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...