Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Bells

           I should have known better than to cut through the churchyard, on my own late at night, with the last of the storm swirling the leaves around my head. Even in 2018 it wasn’t suitable for a fifteen-year-old girl but it was a short cut to safety in the warmth of Mum and Dad’s.

          Not far to go now, but suddenly the bells began to ring. The church was in total darkness but still they tolled and I began to be spooked. It was almost pitch black and the wind was howling but I could just make out the shape of the litter bin lying on its side on the path. A newspaper was sticking out waiting to be blown to pieces amongst the headstones. Instinctively I pulled it out and saw the date, 11th November 1918. Was I dreaming? What was going on?

          A chill ran down my spine as I pulled my collar up. Something made me tuck the paper under my arm as the bells carried on. Why was the paper there and why did that date bother me? Of course, it was the date my great grandfather died in France, and later that same day that the Germans finally surrendered. If only he had survived one more day, he too would have been heading for safety.

          The noise behind me broke the spell. Don’t stand here you fool. I just ran like the clappers…   


Phil Fricker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...