Friday, December 25, 2020

Who has Mum for Christmas lunch?

A few years ago when my mother was still alive there were arguments in the family about who should have her on Christmas Day. The concept of taking turns was present but didn't altogether work.

My brother and his family are vegetarian and just to complicate the issue, my nephew celebrates his birthday on the 25th of December!  (His father was a carpenter at the time he was born.)  A strict 2 hours was allocated to this celebration. Afterwards it was allowed to be Christmas!

Both myself and daughters would invite Mum for turkey and all the trimmings. My brother and family would invite her for the Christmas birthday celebration and then a vegetarian lunch. So we said to Mum, ‘surely you don't want a vegetarian lunch followed by a meaty one?’  ‘Oh, I think that sounds like an excellent plan,’ said Mum.

But sadly, we didn't get to see my brother’s family, and they didn't get to see us. And it's still the same, several years down the line. I usually see one or other daughter and their young family at Christmas or both.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to go to church in the morning and then have an M&S ready meal sitting in front of the telly all by myself. Bah humbug!

Janet G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...