Thursday, January 7, 2021

A Song of Covid Year (in the style of Flanders & Swann)

January brings the tax returns,
I hate them so my poor brain burns.

February pancake day.
Nice gluten free pancakes? No way!

By March I’m fed up of the grey and wintry weather,
Praying for some sunshine to give us all a breather.

April’s days draw longer but still cold,
Spring on the horizon – to that hope we must hold.

May is greener and warmer and brighter,
Summer seems earlier than when I was a blighter.

June – nearly holidays – if I can, I’ll go away
before schools break up and kids are in the way.

July, my birthday month, a reminder that I’m getting on.
Socially-distanced coffee outdoors is all that can be done.

August – I miss the sea, will try to get there then
if the world gets back to normal and we can travel once again.

September, kids go back to school.
Will I have had my Covid jab by then so I can go back too?

October is my favourite month, the colours crisp and brown.
Collecting conkers and acorns that the autumn storms blow down.

November with its bonfire night once again comes round,
watching fireworks from Velux windows as they go off over town.

December’s dark and chilly days, but a bit of Christmas cheer
makes everything seem bearable, even in this Covid year.

Then January brings the tax return,
one blessing, it's much quicker with so little that’s been earned!

Alison Mott



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...