Monday, October 3, 2022

Small Vices and Addictions

Some vices are so small that when asked to remember them I had to take some moments to recall and reflect.

I developed a taste for something called ‘Victory V Lozenges’ when I was about twelve years of age. Packets of these ‘sweets’ were easily obtained from the local paper shop, and small enough so as not to put bulges in your school blazer pockets.

My mother had, for some strange reason, a strong dislike for this liquorice product and tried hard to stop my consumption of the same.

Hiding places for the forbidden product became a problem when mum found mine inside my pillowcase. Happily the stash under the old flower pot in the shed remained intact until the late spring.

In winter, odd lozenges could be placed in the deep pockets of my gabardine Macintosh and in the summer the good old ‘sun hat’ provided transport and cover. I feel sure that, in those days, I actually got more pleasure out of hiding my addiction than I did from eating the forbidden thing!

Do today’s parents still impose the same sort of restriction on their ‘young hopefuls’ and do our children still adopt similar sorts of addictions?

I feel sure that many parents would be quite happy if their child only indulged in some similar product. Today they face the horrors of what is available on street corners, not to mention the internet and wretched social media.

 

David Taylor

Image available in the public realm on Pinterest here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...