Friday, December 23, 2022

While Shepherds washed their frocks by night ...

I was dressed in a completely inappropriate shade of pink - not the proper colour for a shepherd, but when I gave my mother the note from my infant teacher asking parents to support the class’s production of the Nativity by providing costumes for their child, Mum had looked at the overflowing basket of dirty laundry, calculated the time it would take to pull out the twin tub and run through a couple of batches of washing then get it dry before tomorrow’s dress rehearsal (it already being teatime and a week since the teacher had given me the letter), she’d decided a ‘make do with what you have to hand’ approach was the only way to go.

Which is why, next day, I stood by the manger with my fellow shepherds in a bright pink breast cancer awareness t-shirt - inside out to hide the lettering – and a Guinness beer towel clasped on my head with a bungee cord from dad’s tool box. Classic.

AM

Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...