Friday, December 8, 2023

In a Damp December (in the style of Christina Rossetti)

In a damp December
we had had some snow,
I was going for a walk
but my friend’s dog wouldn’t go.

The skies were grey and murky,
the snow began to slush.
I went into town instead
to beat the Christmas rush.

Went into a café,
windows full of steam.
Had a nice hot chocolate
with marshmallows and cream.

I walked under Christmas lights,
not the trees I’d planned,
but it was still a social time
and I heard our town’s brass band.

In a damp December,
though we had some snow,
I wrapped myself up for a walk
and I’m glad I chose to go!


Alison Mott, Dec 2023

*In the style of Christina Rossetti's 'In the Bleak Midwinter', published in January 1872



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...