Friday, February 16, 2024

The Doctor, 2023 - An Ode

Let me to the doctor go,
My pain gets worse, ‘should not be so,
I will a quick appointment make
by telephone, my hands now shake!
Am I in luck? It’s down to fate,
ten seconds past the hour of eight.

I’m in a queue, I’m put on hold,
The minutes pass, I’m growing old!
After what seems to be an hour
the phone goes dead, I have no power
to recover my urgent call;
My patience now, begins to pall.

The second time, a lady’s voice
intones a sort of ‘multi choice.’
Press button one, or two, or three,
there is no charge, the call is free;
We’re pleased to tell you while you wait
‘Your call is valued!’; (I’m number 8).

I’ll listen to the choice again,
wrestling with increasing pain.
I’m tempted now, by option six,
let’s see what a human voice can fix!
I’ll tell some person all the facts -
Computer, you can now relax.

‘Hello, and welcome to the surgery,
How can I help? My name is Marjorie.’
‘A doctor I would like to see’,
And Marj’ is saying, ‘Get past Me!
Are you calling about yourself?’
(No, it’s about an aging elf!)

‘A few small checks before we start;
have you a problem with your Heart?
We ask our patients to ‘book on line’
It saves you money, and also time.
The doctor has a lot to do ...
Did you say blood clots in your poo?'

David Taylor, June 2023


Photo by Miryam León on Unsplash


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello child, welcome to life!

This will seem a strange and fearful place to you, no doubt, a jumble of shapes and colours at this stage which you won't have the knowl...